Sunday, September 13, 2009

Who has understood the mind of the LORD?

Isaiah 40:11-14; 25-31

11 He tends his flock like a shepherd: 
       He gathers the lambs in his arms 
       and carries them close to his heart; 
       he gently leads those that have young.

 12 Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, 
       or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens? 
       Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket, 
       or weighed the mountains on the scales 
       and the hills in a balance?

 13 Who has understood the mind of the LORD, 
       or instructed him as his counselor?

 14 Whom did the LORD consult to enlighten him, 
       and who taught him the right way? 
       Who was it that taught him knowledge 
       or showed him the path of understanding?

25 "To whom will you compare me? 
       Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One.

 26 Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: 
       Who created all these? 
       He who brings out the starry host one by one, 
       and calls them each by name. 
       Because of his great power and mighty strength, 
       not one of them is missing.

 27 Why do you say, O Jacob, 
       and complain, O Israel, 
       "My way is hidden from the LORD; 
       my cause is disregarded by my God"?

 28 Do you not know? 
       Have you not heard? 
       The LORD is the everlasting God, 
       the Creator of the ends of the earth. 
       He will not grow tired or weary, 
       and his understanding no one can fathom.

 29 He gives strength to the weary 
       and increases the power of the weak.

 30 Even youths grow tired and weary, 
       and young men stumble and fall;

 31 but those who hope in the LORD 
       will renew their strength. 
       They will soar on wings like eagles; 
       they will run and not grow weary, 
       they will walk and not be faint.

WOW!!!  Does reading this passage give you chills?  I sure get goose bumps as I read this!  I hand-picked these specific verses from Isaiah 40.  Of course all the words in that passage are good, but these in particular speak to my heart.  Can I take a minute to briefly explain what each portion means to me?

v.11: I absolutely love knowing that God cares for me so much, that He scoops me up, as though I'm a fragile lamb, and comforts me in the gentleness of His arms.  I feel SO safe as I read this.

v.12-14: Why in the world do I ever question God?  As if He doesn't have a clue about what I'm suffering through or what is going on in the world?  HE is the ONE who sees from horizon to horizon, put the stars in their place, etc.  I only have the ability to see myself and how my suffering affects me.  He, however, sees everything going on with me and around me, and He knows what intricate things need to happen to carry out His plan.  Yes, it is SO hard to suffer like this, but maybe, just maybe, this struggle will be for His glory.  Maybe friends and strangers will come to know the LORD through my pain.  IMAGINE!!!  Oh I pray that my life would be a testimony to His mercy, love, and compassion (3 things I have really been receiving from him lately)!

v.25: Enough said!

v.26-27: Well if I ever thought that God had forgotten about me (and believe me I have!), these verses dispel that craziness!  I admit that there have been times when I have felt abandoned by my LORD, as if He had no regard for my suffering and pain.  If God knows the starry host and calls them each by name, why ever would He forget me?  I am far more valuable than they!  What a reminder that no part of me is hidden from Him; NOTHING!  

v.28-31: Do I even need to explain myself here?  I will stop to say that my favorite part of this section is this: "Do you not know?  Have you not heard?"  I love how that gets my attention and reminds me that my God is everlasting and NEVER grows tired nor weary.  I am SO tired and weary, and I often feel as though I can't go on.  But my God IS my portion and my strength.  And with a secure hope, I know that one day I will "RUN and not grow weary!"

Does this Scripture bring you to tears?  My tears are ever-flowing when I stop and meditate on God's love for me.  I know that most of you reading this are not in situations even similar to mine, so you may not be as moved right now as I am.  In the midst of this storm, I am so thankful that I do have a secure hope.  I can feel my Father's arms embracing me right now, rocking me, and comforting me.  I know that everything will work out for my good.  Thank you Jesus!

What does this mean for you?  I do know that when trials come your way, and you are barely able to hold on, the LORD wants to be your strength, and He will if you allow Him to be.  He loves you and cares about you more than your mind and heart could even begin to imagine.  I believe He takes delight in showing compassion to His children.  I know that He stores up our tears in a bottle; they are SO precious to Him!  Will you let Him be your strength and your portion?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers